Thread: Too soon to transfer?

Question Too soon to transfer?

As may of you know, I am upgrading to a 125 aquarium when I move into my new house (hopefully) at the end of the month. I just filled it with some sand and 2/3 if the way with water, and the idea is to transfer all of the contents of my 75 gallon into the 125 including water, live sand, live rock, fish, corals, etc. I don't want to rush the process, but I hear that this Mon. we are going to be in the 60s, so it would be the ideal time to make the transfer. (I may not live there yet, but I am at the new house everyday working to get it ready for the move.)

The only problem is that I just finished mixing up the saltwater for it today, and I am wondering if Mon. would be too soon to transfer everything. What do you all think? Should I make the move when the weather is good and do it all at once, or am I better off doing it in stages? Any advice as I make the move (less than 10 min. away)? Thanks!

You should be okay. I'd test an hour or two after you get the rock and live sand in the tank before adding the livestock but it is unlikely you will see a cycle. Are you planning on transferring all the sand from your 75? I prefer to use the top inch or so of the existing sandbed. Beyond that it can be quite filthy.

My sand bed is only about 1 1/2 inches now, so I was planning on transferring it all to put over the dead sand in it now. I have about 10 fish to transfer, plus a lot of corals and inverts.

Would anyone else like to weigh in on this? I need advice! Please!

If you have the time, I would recommend taking it slowly. I recently transferred my livestock from my 90 to my new 120 and I did it pretty slowly. After I filled the 120 and set up the live rock I gave it 2.5 weeks before I added any fish or corals. Then I added one fish and a few sacrificial corals and monitored them over the course of a week. Everything looked okay at the end of the week so I added the rest of my fish and corals. The whole time I was constantly monitoring my water quality in an effort to catch any sort of a spike.

I moved from a 75 to a 120 gallon over the summer. I put new sand and all new water in the 120 and had both tanks running at the same time. I moved everything from my old tank to my new tank on the same day. I put all of the corals and fish in a Rubbermaid tub and then moved the live rock to the new tank. I didn't notice any spikes or cycling, although something small may have happened and I didn't notice it. Thankfully, all of my fish and corals survived the move.

I'm still not sure what to do! The problem is that I need to move the equipment (protein skimmer, power heads, filter, heaters, etc.) also, which means that any fish left behind would need to be transferred to another tank anyway (I have a 50 gallon which could house most of them), but I almost feel that it is better to do it all at once instead of so many changes and acclimations. Also, it would be impossible to get all of the live sand out without draining the tank. I suppose the other option would be to fill a 30 gallon tub with water from the tank, slap on a filter, and let them live in there for a week or so while the sand and rock establishes itself in the new tank. Thoughts?
    Tomorrow is supposed to be 66 degrees. Perfect weather for transferring fish...after that it goes down into the 40s for the foreseeable future. Another factor to keep in mind...