Thread: Trace Elements

Trace Elements

I have been using Seachem Reef Trace. I am adding 25mg twice a week and burn through a bottle pretty fast. I know some of you have large systems and would need the whole bottle at one shot. What is everybody else using and where do you get it?

I personally don't dose trace elements. I tend to believe plenty of trace elements make it in through food additions, 2-part/calcium reactors, and water changes. I'm also weary of dosing anything I can't test for. JMO of course.

I also posted on RC and everybody says they do not dose TE but some do iodine. They say they get enough through water changes and food as do you. I am going to stop dosing the TE but keep up on the iodine. I also test and add as needed for my calcium and KH. I prefer the less is more, thanks for you help.

PMASI Board Member
    I am in the same school as jerpa. Also if you are not testing for it you shouldnt dose it.

The other thing is ask yourself "Why am i dosing xxx" and if there is not a good reason then why waste the money?

A lot of people tend to stick to kalk, and 2 part solutions and give up on the rest unless there is a specific need they can see.

I dosed fuel early on in my home tank but it was so many vitamins and traces of mag,iodine,etc I didnt know if it was needed I stopped because it was getting pricey and I never tested for it I just put it in because it seemed what everyone was doing.

I started dosing due to the fact I was not doing water changes faithfully every week. It was maybe 2 weeks between water changes of a few occasions longer so I was just trying to replace what doing water chages would do. I am now back to regular water changes and soon will not have to lug water jugs as my RO/DI will be here within the next few days!!

You would be surprised as to how slow corals will absorb the trace minerals and vitamins in the water. Unless you have a heavy sps dominate tank, I really don't see a point to dosing.Just use a good quality salt and you will be fine.

As for continuing dosing iodine, do you test for this? What are your reasons for thinking you need to other than lack of consistent water changes?

I have seen an improvment with my xenia pulsing since I have been adding for about 2 months. My xenia was hardly pulsing. I read that adding iodine could help make it pulse better and I have seen an improvment. Is it the iodine, coincidence, not sure but have seen improvment. I do not test nor do I know it there is a test for iodine. I test ph kh ammonia nitrate nitrite calcium and salinity.

ph - 8.2
    kh - 10
    calcium - 400-480
    salinity - .025-.026
    ammonia - 0
    nitrate - 0
    nitrite - 0