Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Tank

My Tank

I thought I'd share some pictures of my system. I have a 120 gallon display tank in my living room. It is plumbed to a basement system that includes a 40 gallon sump, 40 gallon refugium, and a 30 gallon frag tank that I hooked up today.

I used the rock from a 29 gallon system along with ~70lbs of BRS Reef Saver and Pukani rock. The pictures below we're taken when my tank was lit by 2 Kessil A150's and 2 54W ATI Aquablue Specials. I just got two Kessil A350W's from Craig at Saltwater Sanctuary but haven't had a chance to take pictures yet. It's an SPS and LPS tank but it's trending to mostly SPS.

My sump includes a DIYBSE skimmer and a BRS Carbon/GFO reactor. The reactor, frag tank, refugium, and main tank are fed by a Reeflo Blowhole 1450. Right now I dose kalk through my ATO and occasionally adjust with 2 part.

The refugium is lit with a 150W MH/PC Actinic Coralife Fixture that was above my old tank. I grow chaeto, caulerpa, red gracillara, and I recently added some ulva. I also have a pile of rock in there beneath the chaeto. Oh and aiptasia...

The frag tank is a 30 gallon Deep Blue rimless that I picked up at Dave's Aquastock. It's lit by one of the Kessils I previously had above the main tank. It looks very empty.

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by jerpa; 07-16-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Attachment 312

Frag Tank, Pic of basement, tank under new Kessils
    Last edited by jerpa; 07-18-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Very Nice! I have been looking at the Kessil lights but have not been able to figure out how many I would need for my system. Have you had good results with them?

Brian

I have had good results. I was stretching the smaller units over my tank but I will be getting rid of the T5 now that I have the larger ones. What are the dimensions of your tank?

I have a standard sized 90g that has about 100lbs rock and LPS, soft, and anemones. I would love 2 of the new A350 but thats a lot of money since my lights are working.

It worked out for me because I needed more light anyway. I fell into the smaller Kessils and was trying to make them work while kind of figuring it wouldn't. Between supplementing the light above my tank and purchasing lighting for the frag tank the costs were close. Once I factored in replacement costs for bulbs and electricity it was a no brainer. I got a good deal on them which helped as well.

Tank looks great Jeremy! When you're all setup be sure to post some pictures of the 350's in action too.
    Last edited by SALTWATERSANCTUARY; 07-18-2012 at 03:00 AM.

With my 90 would I need the 350's or could I go with the smaller Kessils? I can not find the coverage area for the light but I can find light spectrum. Then again by the time I upgrade something new might be out. I have thought about building a LED system but not even sure where to start and there is so much info about doing it. I would love bright and then the blues to make corals pop.

Quote Originally Posted by bkHunt74 View Post
    With my 90 would I need the 350's or could I go with the smaller Kessils? I can not find the coverage area for the light but I can find light spectrum. Then again by the time I upgrade something new might be out. I have thought about building a LED system but not even sure where to start and there is so much info about doing it. I would love bright and then the blues to make corals pop.

Have you seen Kessil's webpage? The charts should help you out.

http://www.kessil.com/products/a350_led_aqua_light.php

It really depends how high you want to mount them. The normal A350's are better for deeper tanks (24"-30") and will have more defined spotlight. The A350W's have a huge spread and would be better if you wanted to mount closer to water level but have a shallower tank.

The 150s could work for you also but they have a coverage area of somewhere around a little under 24"x24" each and you can not adjust the colors like the new 350s.
    Last edited by SALTWATERSANCTUARY; 07-18-2012 at 03:15 AM.

I would go with the A350wides on a 90 gallon tank unless you mounted them several feet above the aquarium. For the smaller units I would say you could make due with 2 for a mixed reef setup although it probably won't be as visually bright as you are used to. 3 would be ideal IMO. They will cover a 24x24 area but I think much beyond 18" deep is stretching them quite a bit.