Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our Forums!!

Quote Originally Posted by big dog View Post
    Attempts have been made. The board holds the key and only board members can be admins and mods. Good Luck!
    Speaking for myself, comments like this are more than a little bothersome. You are clearly attempting to portray the "board" as heavy handed and unfair. In fact, in the history of this forum, we have only ever had an issue with one individual.

Speaking as a board member, I am sorry that you find yourself at odds with the board, but we have tried to be fair and kind regarding your situation. To be honest our patience has warn out due to unnesecary remarks such as you made above.

We, the "board" work very hard to provide a friendly and open environment where our members and guests can participate in open, unmoderated discussions. We try to ensure that there is a tremendous value in return for the small $24 annual membership fee and are constantly working to add value to what is already offered:

• High profile speakers almost monthly
    • Discounts at sponsoring stores
    • Access to a large library of reef related books
    • free travel to regional frag swaps, sometimes including a meal
    • Behind the scenes access to the zoo
    • An open invitation to have dinner with the board and the guest speaker after the meetings
    • followship with numerous experienced local reefers
    • Subsidized T-shirts and other club branded items
    • A monthly raffle, often with items WE PURCHASE to raffle away (often at a loss)
    • Monthly MEMBERS ONLY raffle for a gift card, and sometimes somewhat expensive pump, light, etc.
    • An annual picnic for club members
    • in-home help when people ask for it
    • A year end MEGA raffle with numerous high profile, high cost items, some purchased by the club to give away
    • An annual frag workshop where we spend hundreds of dollars on coral to raffle away.

And LASTLY:
    • An open forum where members of non commerical nature can buy/sell, and members and non members alike can participate in open discussions with each other and business who follow the guidlines and sponsor the club.

We welcome your continued participation in our forums and our club, but will not tolerate any further attempts at inciting trouble or portraying us as unfair or unkind.

-Bill
    Last edited by BeanAnimal; 07-22-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Well stated Bill, I agree 100%.

I think we have gotten away from my original post and have made it personel attacks from both sides.

So far this thread has had 188 views - 11 post - by 8 members out of ??? members - 1 sponsor(whos store is not even open yet).

Thus far nobody has came up with any suggentions, ideas, constructive opionions on how to get members to use our forums and not just view then log off.

I suggest to entice our sponsors to maybe offer some specials to PMASI members that people post some comments/photos of thier recent purchases. I think that our positive words/photos could go a long way.

Maybe the club could sponsor a "thread of the month" award with a small prize for the best thread/most replied to thread/best photo. Something to encourage people to share their knowledge.

Maybe their could be an open (civil) discussion at the monthly meeting to get ideas after the main speaker. I will not be able to attend the next few meetings due to my work schedule rotation and meeting days.

Another idea just came into my head. Take the meetings on the road!! Contact the LFS to see if they would be willing to host a meeting in their store once or twice a year. This could benefit both the club and LFS. Store would get some sales from club members and PMASI would be seen in public and may get a new member or two. Maybe a member or two, who has a large enough home/garage could host a meeting and show off their system or get some advice how to make it better. This could possibly save the club some money on hall rental fees.

Again sorry if I have overstepped any lines but I have enjoyed my few months in the club and would like to encourage the membership to utilize the assets.

Thanks
    Brian

PMASI Board Member
    To be honest this topic comes up quite frequently and gets beat up and nothing comes of it. So most people have just accepted the fact that it is just a forum of little use.

As I mentioned previously we have tried to get sponsors to post, we have given many (25) access to post freely in the sponsors forums and only 1 takes advantage of it. Some stores don't have anyone dedicated or with time to post on the forums either. We will in turn just make announcements at the meetings.

At every meeting we always ask the members for input, ideas, road trips, etc. So if anyone ever has any ideas they are free to state them openly. If you don't want to any of us BOD members are readily available so pull us aside, or use email.

We tried contests once got one reply from a board member, I am open to trying them again but to reiterate it takes more than the BOD posting to get people involved.

Moving meetings was also discussed a few times, and even presented at a meeting. The biggest issue with this is logistics. Getting the word out, making sure everyone knows whats going on, and where its going to be. In the past we only had two stores willing to offer up space (might have more now), and while we always use to meet at a local store and several of our club members complained for numerous reasons so we went back to the Hotel for both consistency and space (We have outgrown most places). We polled 100 members over a year ago to move the meetings and over 60% said they would not attend if not in Monroeville so that's why we are were we are now.

The original plan of the website sponsors was to have sponsors donate items to use to promote the site. Gift cards/ products etc. The problem is as the economy sours sponsors donate less and to make our mega raffle worth while most all donations head there and then appear regularly at the meetings for the monthly raffles.

By no means am I shooting down any of your suggestions and I know you are newer to the club so you are not aware of the history or attempts made, so don't take it as any discouragement.

PMASI Board Member
    To go back on one thing I said.

When we polled members 60% said they would rather is stay in Monroeville. Not that they would not attend.