Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Forums!!

Our Forums!!

I have only been a member for a few months but have noticed a lack of participation on the PMASI forums. There are several good post and several fun post. I have noticed people are viewing the post but not giving much in the way of support/help. PMASI as a group, from what I have seen, has a lot of knowledge that can be shared via the forum only if the members try and help each other.

So my question is:
    How can we increase the use of OUR forum?
    How can we get our sponsers that do not update any of their forum to update more ofter?
    How can we get more sponsers to advertise on our forum?

I am sorry if I am overstepping any lines. I have attended a few meeting and met some good people. I just would think we need to support our forums as we do the others.

Brian

I think Brian has a point here.
    I noticed that on the PMASI club site @ reefcentral is sometimes more activity than at our own site. I am always puzzled with that.

Attempts have been made. The board holds the key and only board members can be admins and mods. Good Luck!

Hey guys...sorry for the lack of updates on our forum (Saltwater Sanctuary) as we have been busy with the construction of the new shop the last few months. I have posted an updated thread detailing our progress and some new construction pictures so far of the new setup. Please feel free to post in our forum with any questions or thoughts you may have.

Thanks,
    Saltwater Sanctuary

I think the activity on the forum falls more on the members than the board. The club hosts and manages the forum but it's up to us to use it. I assume the RC forum sees more activity just because of the huge amount of traffic on there. It seems we have the sponsorship of most of the local stores that have any sort of saltwater support. In order to entice larger companies I'm sure the traffic would need to increase. Basically I'm saying that although it may be the clubs job to provide a suitable environment for discussion, planning of get togethers, buying/trading/selling etc. it is really the members that make the club. JMO.

PMASI Board Member
    +1 Jerpa

If you look around even at reefcentral its all slow in our area, getting group participation has always been hard and several years ago we attempted a few promotions and it always ends up being the same 5-6 people participate. The summertime always makes this worse.

We do have 25 sponsors between local and online, and as you can tell only one major sponsor takes advantage of the online forum and a few stores do participate from time to time. A lot of the stores are small and do not have time to constantly post. We though about enacting rules to keep the sponsor forums active but a lot of stores support the club so much offline its more benefit to us to keep them listed even though posts are low.

PMASI has surveyed the membership a few times on what they want of the forums and the response is very minimal to non existent so making changes just to change didn't work out for us a lot of times. We have tried the forum setup in several different formats over the past 5 or so years and ended up with a similar result.

We are open to ideas and suggestions, and to touch on the above post we had a short conversation in the past that didn't materialize. The Board is made up solely of volunteers, people come and go, focus changes.

If you have certain ideas by all means post them and we would be more than happy to discuss them.

If you look at the numbers people are on the forums.

While all moderators are currently Board members, there is very little to no restrictions on any ability to post content, start posts or try to get people posting. The forums were originally for members only but last year we opened them up to everyone that wanted to registerd on the site due to the low amount of traffic. This did double our visitor stats.

I agree that the success of the forums does fall on the members. I started this thread in hopes of encouraging the people who only come and view to respond to post. The knowledge and experience in the club is vast and close at our finger tips.

I also agree that we have some great local sponsors but many have just not participated or promoted their products for many months. I am not saying that they must update every week but once a month or two send out a few words saying if they are having a large shippment, sale or event. Maybe just a friendly phone call or two might encourage them to put up a thread. I have supported almost all of the small stores that are our sponsors and will continue to do so.

Again it is up to the membership to support the forums and make them a success or failure. I am just hoping that we can get a little more people to add some comments since we see that they are viewing the threads.

Brian

Maybe just a friendly phone call or two might encourage them to put up a thread. I have supported almost all of the small stores that are our sponsors and will continue to do so.
    Mentioning you heard about them on the forum would encourage them to promote here more. Perhaps we could ask them to hang a flyer about the club as well or inform people starting up tanks about it. I would imagine having access to a club with the knowledge we have available increases their chances of success. This would benefit the sponsor as well.

I agree with the second part as well. I have no problem paying a bit more to support the area stores. I want them to be around when I need something but they can't survive off emergency sales alone.

I know mention has been made in the past about having more discussion oriented meetings and while I understand where that comes from I think the presentations are quite valuable. Several members go out to eat regularly after the meeting and that is when a lot more discussion takes place. This does not need to be relegated to after the meeting only. I'm fairly confident the club would be fine with member organized get togethers. Obviously everybody is busy these days but if you want to meet up and talk fish start a thread. I've heard that desire expressed by enough members that I'm sure you could get a small group together. If your setting up a tank or making a major change to your system you could post here for help, even if you don't NEED it.
    Last edited by jerpa; 07-14-2012 at 05:32 PM.

PMASI Board Member
    As far as the stores go we (BOD) are designing advertising to put in the stores to solicit members and show store support. Hopefully this will be done soon.

A lot of the stores are really supportive of PMASI. Anytime we need items for meetings, or mega raffle we can usually just make a few phone calls and get what we need.

Making sure the stores know pmasi supports them is important from a customers standpoint also, and as Jeremy says even if its a little more money sometimes or a few minutes further its important to have them there.

If there are club events you want us to have, again we just need suggestions and people to speak up. We have no problems discussing any ideas or trips you might want. Also don't be afraid to startup a topic for an event and run with it. If you want PMASI support or help just let us know and we will do our best.

Keep the ideas and conversations going..

Thanks
    Dave

I am a new member and rather quiet on the forums. However, I actively browse and read threads. Brian's questions illicit well thought and insightful responses which have been an enormous help to my aquarium.

Thanks to everyone that posts here, and I will attempt to be more active on the PMASI forum.