Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RO/DI vs KATI ANI vs RO/UV KIOSK

RO/DI vs KATI ANI vs RO/UV KIOSK

I am looking to get a ro/di unit but I have low water pressure around 32psi. I would have to but a booster pump but those are a bit pricey. I have looked into kati ani systems also but can only seem to find large units(expensive). I would only need a 1 or 2 as I only use 10-15 gallons per week. Currently I am purchasing my ro/uv water from the kiosk at Shop-N-Save(.39g) and have not been having any issues. So my question is should I keep looking for Kati Ani or get a RO/DI with booster pump or just keep purchasing from kiosk?

Thanks
    Brian

Do you own your home or rent? I have a pressure reducing valve on my main water line. I was able to get 60 psi by simply turning it up a bit. You don't want to go over 80psi. I don't have any experience with Kati ani systems. I wouldn't recommend the kiosk water based on price alone. It's only 4-6 dollars a week but that's still $200-$300 dollars a year and you have to haul the water. If your gonna be in the hobby for more than a year, or if you upgrade, the system will pay for itself quickly.

I own my home and am pretty sure I do not have a pressure regulator but will double check when I get off work in the morning. For now I am stuck with the kiosk and it is cheaper that going to Elmers which I believe is $.80 for plain RO/DI water.
    I was looking at the kati ani due to no waste water and the fact that it does not require the higher water pressure. The down side is that you need the chemicals to recharge them not just a simple filter change.

I would really try to get an rodi unit for yourself. You don't know for sure what the tds is of the water from shop and save. although its ro, they might not change the filters enough for the needs of people with reefs. Even of you buy a booster pump, the money you save will pay for it over time. 35 cents is a good price but unless your doing a nano, it's going to add up. And if you are doing a nano, it's even more important to have the lowest tds possible. I thought I could do this also with my 30 gallon but I ended up with a diatom bloom that didn't go away until I switched because Walmart didn't have a top notch filter, leaving me with excess silicates.

PMASI Board Member
    Before going kati ani its good to know what you tap TDS is. It can be a great addition or the worst, i run both a 5 and 10 unit.

I would be pretty cautious on your pressure regulator, I trust jeremys opinion but there are a lot of things that can go wrong if you are not careful and aware if everything that might be effected

Overall you should be able to get into a decent 75 GPD with booster for 190-220 so a worthwhile investment either way.

Thank you, everybody for your input and please keep it coming!! This is why I posted. I know there are many options and that there are people who have been in the same situation as I.

Thanks
    Brian

just an update to my water pressure issue. i do not have a pressure regulator. i called the water company and they are going to come check the incoming pressure to my house at the curb. i am also surprised that there are not more post about this topic because water quality is a major issue.

Kati Ani

I am using the Kati-Ani System for quite a while now and I am very happy with it.
    The only challenge I had, was to find the correct adapter from approx. 1 diameter to the 3/8 diameter of the hose.
    I ended up with a combination from a dishwasher and some homemade nylon adaptor.
    I had my doubts about the recharging but it was easier than I thought.

Attachment 286

Attachment 287

Attachment 288

Where did you get your set up at and what size is it? I am not sure what exactly I am looking at in the third photo. The Filter Guys are the only ones I can find selling them and only have the large ones in stock. I have been trying to get in contact with a guy on RC but it seem he is only checking site once a month or so.

Brian, I have type #2, I didn't get the bigger one because they were sold out.
    The third picture shows the canister for the chemicals to recharge the units. I have two of them, one for the acid and one for the lye.