Thread: Upgrading

Upgrading

I got a 40B with 15G sump for a steal. This will be the first time I've set up the sump. I've got all the PVC and bulkheads and I ordered the rest of the pieces but I'm not sure how to set it up. Anyone interested in teaching the noob sometime in the near future?

Is the tank already drilled? What is the configuration?

It is already drilled.

Here is the sump. I put in the baffles yesterday. It is drilled on the left side which you can see in the pic. I ordered a bulkhead for it from Glassholes and it should arrive any day now.

Here is the tank. It's hard to see since I painted the back black but the drain is on the left and the return is on the right. I need to get some loc-line for the return but I think I have all the rest of the plumbing.

No one can help? I've tried to do this on my own and it's not working. I don't know if the plumbing is wrong or what. I guess I'll just give up.

What isn't working? Can you post up pics of the plumbing you have done so far? Then we can better guide you thru the steps.

My husband did the plumbing and it's against the wall now so I don't have pics. What he did was put an elbow from the bulkhead and then straight line with a ball valve to the sump. Once at the sump another elbow meets the blukhead on the sump where water flows into an elbow on the inside which I planned for it to direct water into a filter sock. The return pump is connected to a straight piece which is connected to an elbow and then another straight piece with a ball valve. And finally another elbow into the bulkhead where water returns to the display. I still need to get locline for that to direct flow in the DT. Every time we try to run it with water we get a bulkhead leak or water coming out of the vent on the top elbow. Then we turn off the return pump and water overflows the sump. I'm not sure if I need a stronger pump (guessing I do) and I'm not sure why the simple plumbing design doesn't seem to be functional at all.

IMO,

The bulk head should not leak and should seal. Do you have the rubber o ring on the inside or outside?

After the bulkhead I always use a T instead of a 90'. Try to take a pic. Any picture would help.

If you are able to attend the meeting this Saturady. We can take a look at it. There will be plenty of "seasoned aquarist" willing to help.

Where are you located? If someone is local to you might be easier to have someone stop by.

I'm in Elizabeth, just down 48 from Monroeville. I'll see if I can get pics before the meeting.