Thread: In Search of Halimeda

Lightbulb In Search of Halimeda

Hi there. If you have some halimeda in your tank and are willing to share a frag, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't have much, but I may be able to provide some hermit crabs, small brittle stars, or something else in exchange. Thanks!

I case you were wondering, I am still in search of halimeda, live rock, and live sand. Let me know if you have any to sell/ trade. Thanks!

PMASI Member
    First of all I don't have any Halimeda. I'm curious why you are looking to introduce it into your tank. My experience with these macro algae that it requires a lot of calcium and grows rapidly went it has an ample supply. I run a calcium reactor and it grew like crazy. It took me months to finally get rid of it.
    They also do not tolerate extensive pruning so that's how I finally got rid of it.
    [EMAIL="gswiech@gmail.com"]gswiech@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Since I add kalkwasser, I can provide calcium at the rate I want it to grow. I really like to have some green plants in my tank that my tangs won't demolish overnight. And finally, I am setting up a non-reef tank that is going to need some plantlife in lieu of corals.

Thanks, though, for warning me of the dangers of halimeda. I appreciate your heads-up!