Thread: Wow very uncool...

Wow very uncool...

So I have to vent about something and about someone....

I have noticed but didn't really pay attention but having it happen to me I find it very bad business practice. I posted a Craigslist ad for some misc corals and immediately afterwards the slippery rock corals guy puts an ad up. I find this to be very poor taste for two reasons.

One being he is a business and should not be posting like a private seller in a general Craigslist forum and should be flagged accordingly.

Second being that alot of us fellow hobbyists sell from time to time to help buffer the cost of the hobby or to get some extra cash to go to a lfs and buy some new stuff. For a business to undercut and take attention away from the hobby level selling and hobbyist trading is just bad form on their part.

I personally would drive past his place and pay double before giving him a dirty penny. Maybe he will see this and get some food for thought on how he conducts himself.

"rant over and out"

On that note... I thought it was questionable that he was doing the "I bought these 40 gallon tanks but never used them, which is a tad deceiving. My loss is your gain...$50 for sale" Or the 55 gallons for $65. Someone actually posted a notice about the Petco sale on Craigslist to warn other buyers about this practice.
    Last edited by ironwill723; 01-04-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Oh by the way I agree...there is a business section on craigslist to sell commercially that businesses should be utilizing. Just my opinion though.
    Last edited by ironwill723; 01-04-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Anyone that is watching for corals/reef gear on Craigslist already knows about this guy... He posts pretty frequently. From his posts he's always come off to me as being in this sorta grey-area of pseudo-business-hobbyist. Does he actually run "Slippery Rock Corals" as a profession? If this is an actual business then I guess it would go against Craigslists's TOS and should technically be flagged, although I think there are lots of hobbyists that run frag tanks / breeding tanks for the sole purpose of trading and selling livestock who could be considered a small business as well...

Posting after your post could have happened purposefully, or by chance I suppose... Anyway, He didn't spam CL, burying your post or anything, so I don't think it is really hurting your post's visibility. Although, I think I have flagged him from spamming a while back.

The tank pricing, although ethnically questionable I suppose, is entirely up to him. No one is forcing anyone to buy those tanks... Plus, after the sale ends his prices would actually be much better than the big-box stores...

I assume he's a business and does it professionally. He says"shipments" and "wholesaler" has a website a Facebook page and advertises it with store hours etc. I know alot of people with frag tanks but they aren't wholesaling volume and getting in shipments and posting hours they will be open and claiming to " have more corals at better prices than any local fish store".

I seriously doubt it was "coincidence". I know it doesn't reduce visibility as my ads right below his. The problem is that I have a few things I want to sell and he swoops in with his huge selection and basement prices and the hobbyist suffers. Whats next him sitting outside of frag swaps with a cooler in his car selling stuff a dollar cheaper?

The tanks I didn't even notice. That is beyond me how a "business" thinks that's ok to do. Does any other local fish store or supplier buy up sale items at a competitor and resell them for profit?

PMASI Member
    Didn't Slippery Rock Coral contribute to our end of the year raffle? Amada and the others did such a great job, I would not be fare to them to make it harder to get nice donations.
    I would think there’s got to be a better way to work out issues then posting it on the web. OH I guess I’m doing just that.
    [EMAIL="gswiech@gmail.com"]gswiech@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

I am sorry if I offended anyone. I thought that selling items for less is a good idea. And as far as the tanks og come one. I paid 40 plus tax and gas to buy these which I had 2 of them and did not use them so after gas I am selling these at best at cost. I would think people would be happy getting a buy on something. I guess that is not important to some people. If someone would like to talk about this you can always e mail me. I am open to ideas. But with that said what did I really do wrong. Here is my e mail address : slipperyrockcorals@gmail.com. I will be happy to anwser any e mail.

This will be my last post on this subject as I believe fish and reef keepers in general are good folks as I believe the owner of SlipperyRockCorals to be as well...First, no offense here taken personally on my end. I think every business in general has different business strategies and tactics to sell their products, make a profit hopefully, and stay afloat financially. Craigslist for a lot of small businesses helps get the word out about items their shop may have not just in the reef community but any business. I think tropical fish hobbyist are well represented selling items on Craigslist as well. More choices in my opinion is always better for the consumer looking for a certain item. I think people see Slippery Rock Corals in the general section because obviously not many consumers are aware there is a business section of Craigslist so why would they list items there where no one would find them. I should have clarified that in my earlier post and apologize for the confusion. My pondering with those type of postings on Craigslist really are if you are selling items on Craigslist give an honest description in the listing. A lot of the listings make it sound like you are a hobbyist selling off personal equipment when in fact you are not. Thus my Petco tank example. People feel like they are getting taken advantage of perhaps. This is just my opinion obviously. The petco $1/gallon sale is unique in most circumstances small pet shops can not even get that low of tank prices from their tank wholesaler. Petco obviously buys thousands of these tanks from the manufactures and can get a way better rate than any local shop. So I'm sure in some instances you do see small shops reselling certain items from other retailers.
    Last edited by ironwill723; 01-04-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Wow..... Really? Do you really think that was a proper response? Apparently your business ethics differ from mine.... What did you do wrong??? Let me spell it out for you from my perspective.

1. Your a business advertising in a private seller portion of Craigslist. It's meant for individuals to sell privately not businesses to use it as a marketing tool. You have been flagged for this before yet you continue to do it.

2. You purposely and blatantly try to mask yourself as a private seller to sell your items new used and live which hurts the actual "hobbyists" trying to make a little money back to fund their hobby and make some room. That is a business practice that I would never support.

3. The tanks... If your losing money why not return them?? Nope you once again use a private seller tactic to post a my loss is your gain ad to bring in foot traffic. Was it just coincidence that you posted that ad at the same time as the petco sale??? C'mon...

4. When some "bad press" comes up in a club forum what happens? Most would save face and maybe try to right things... Nope you blast right past the original topic of you posting an ad right after a hobbyist trying to make a few bucks and play offense and try to make it sound like nothing you do/did/will do is wrong?

Well I will be quite happy never giving you any business. Hopefully others will feel the same way.

That will be quite enough of that. Thread closed.

I respect everyone's opinions on this subject. If any of you wish to discuss it any further amongst yourselves, please do so via PM or email.

Thanks!

Adam