Thread: DIY skimmer muffler

DIY skimmer muffler

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share this quick DIY project because of how well it turned out and how easy it was. I have a Vertex IN-80 skimmer that I've been running without a muffler. It wasn't super loud, but you could definitely tell it was running even from the other side of my apartment.

Materials:
    Small plastic bottle (pill bottles work well)
    Couple short pieces of airline tubing

Tools: drill, knife.

Directions:
    - Drill a hole in the bottle of the plastic bottle that will accept the airline tube coming from the skimmer pump. I recommend using a vise if you have one because the drill will catch on the plastic and rip the bottle out of your hand. I used a knife to bevel the hole and smooth out the edges.
    - Drill two holes in the lid to accept the pieces of airline tubing. Ditto on the vise and knife.
    - Assemble in the obvious way.

It doesn't look like much, but it makes a huge difference! Now, with the stand door closed, I cannot hear the difference between the skimmer being on and being off; the Vortech is now my loudest piece of equipment. Not bad for a project that takes literally five minutes to assemble out what is effectively trash!

Cheers,
    Chris

Nice job, thanks for sharing.