Thread: What beez dis ??????

What beez dis ??????

Can someone help me identify this? I have 2 of them, one on each side of the aquarium. They are not near one another at all. If they're worms or dusters I've never seen anything come out other then them spitting out spider web like stuff. The longer one is really throwing stuff out. You can sorta see what I'm talking in the pic of the shorter one.

Vermetid snails, my friend. the mucous web is a feeding strategy. There are also featherless worms that form a similar tube and use mucous web feeding...but yours clearly appear to be snails to me.

Vermetus is a common genus. But a general web search will garner you a bevy of info. Nice bit here:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rs/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Calfo View Post
    Vermetid snails, my friend. the mucous web is a feeding strategy. There are also featherless worms that form a similar tube and use mucous web feeding...but yours clearly appear to be snails to me.

Vermetus is a common genus. But a general web search will garner you a bevy of info. Nice bit here:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rs/index.php
    Thanks Anthony! I had a colony of poly's near by and they were receding. I put them in my 40 to see if they come back. Do you think the snail may have had something to do with the receding? Read where they irritate zoas. What is their range of agitation, I have some hammer that it may affect too?

I used to have them all over my tank. The biggest problem I had with them was small punctures in my hands every time I went to grab a rock. If you snap them off where they are causing problems, that can limit their sphere of impact a bit, at least, it seemed to for me. I never noticed negative impact on my livestock, but it was 2 years ago, so my memory is probably a little fuzzy at this point.