Thread: Parasite!!!

Parasite!!!

I wanted to share a recent parasite experience to reinforce the value of a quarantine system as well as show off my new microscope and camera. I purchased a purple fire fish and for a few days it did fine, eating well, active. Then I found it struggling on the bottom of the QT. I extracted to a specimen container…

Attachment 469

There were clear to tan oblong parasites attached around the pectoral fins, gills, and head. I only noticed them when I swirled the water and saw them move. They each moved around a fixed point. They were 4-8 mm long by 3-5 mm wide.

Attachment 470
    Attachment 471
    Attachment 472
    This is likely a neobendenia species of flatworm aka fluke. Not difficult to see how they held onto the fish. Unfortunately the purple fire fish perished. I count myself lucky for having a QT setup. On the plus side I got to try my hand at making permanent mounts for my microscope. I'd be happy to try my hand at anything other members were interested in getting photomicrographs of if anyone wanted to bring something to the next meeting.

sorry to hear about your loss, although the pictures are very cool.

what type of scope and cam is it? i've been thinking about trying to track a reasonably priced microscope for some general "looking at tank stuff" fun, but all the higher magnification ones seem a bit on the expensive side for just general curiosity.

Thanks for the post, stinks about losing the fish though. I'll keep you in mind if I ever need this type of service.

Quote Originally Posted by mondobongo View Post
    sorry to hear about your loss, although the pictures are very cool.

what type of scope and cam is it? i've been thinking about trying to track a reasonably priced microscope for some general "looking at tank stuff" fun, but all the higher magnification ones seem a bit on the expensive side for just general curiosity.
    I put a lot of research into buying my scope. I know what you mean about the cost. The high end (Nikon, Leica, Zeiss) scopes were way out of reach for me (thousands for even the most basic). At the very low end were a brand called Amscope that had tons of features for cheap, but very mixed reviews. Plastic gears make me nervous. I was aiming for a clinical microscope that you might find in a veterinary or small medical clinic. I definitely wanted it to be trinocular so that I could have a dedicated optic for a camera. I also needed that camera to be compatible with a Mac. I went with an Omano OM-88 trinocular 40x-1600x microscope from Microscope.com at a cost of about $500, a 5.0 megapixel Summit OCS camera for about $170 and about $40 worth of blank slides, cover slips, and stains. My only complaint thus far is that the dust cover doesn't completely cover the scope with the camera mounted. I also should have purchased a recticle so that I can measure what I am looking at. For reef related viewing I think the lower magnifications are more useful, 1000+ is mostly for looking at bacteria. I mostly use the 40x, 100x, and 400x magnifications and wish I had a 20x for pods.

If you have any other questions I will be at the raffle tomorrow!
    Bryan

Awesome! Thank you so much for the info. :-)

I have seen those on my fish before. We did a freshwater dip and all the parasites fell off. Fish ended up surviving thank goodness. I have a relatively cheap microscope so was able to make out the structure, however your pics are way better than mine turned out!!