View Full Version : Pittsburgh Frag Swap

02-28-2013, 03:57 PM
I know that there has been talk of a swap here in Pittsburgh area. I was wondering if there is going to be a board developed for this or is it going to be the E-board of the club. If there is a board I would like to toss my hat in the ring as a member.

I am sure that there are may details that are going to need to be ironed out here the next few month if this is going to happen in 2013.

02-28-2013, 04:10 PM
I will make note if or more when we need to request help.. Thanks.

Right now we are looking at the november timeframe. The biggest hurdle is space, we need an area that will hold us but also allow water and not cost a fortune while being centrally location (around 70 is preferred)

03-01-2013, 04:53 PM
I am sure I am going to ruffle the feathers of the inner circle of the club with this post.

This is going to be a club sponsored event so why are there only select people on the secret board for a frag swap? We should hold an open sign-up and elect a board. If this is going to work we are going to need to work as a whole rather than the few. I see this as a we did all the work and nobody wanted to help scenario. I am sure that I am not the only person who would like to help but are being pushed away until the time of all the grunt work is needed.

Why are we looking in the City of Washington area? We are the PITTSBURGH MARINE AQUARIUM SOCIETY. There are locations that is closer to Pittsburgh that will meet the needs of the club and visitors traveling in from a distance. We all just drove 2.5 hours to go to a swap, and we are going to expect people to drive an 45-60 south of Pittsburgh. Why would the people in the club that is hosting the event want to drive an hour to go to their own event?

Again sorry if I offend anybody and please feel free to contact me.

03-01-2013, 05:17 PM
If you think you are going to ruffle feathers then why do it?

Second we asked for volunteers at the last 5 or 6 meetings, I got 1. We went with that, so adding more people at this point wouldnt help us. Its not a secret board im tired of people thinking we do shit in secret, we do everything but beg for help. The more people you involve the more people you need to manage, the more people lose interest. It doesn't take a team to pull this off, Lear/CSea, others usually have 3-5 people running the swap. Im offended by the fact you have the nerve to say you have been pushed away because everyone KNOWS that is not true.

Where do you get that we are looking at the city of washington? As i mentioned we are looking for places, if you know of places feel free to recommend them, my point was central location. I have literally called 27 places and found 2 that will let us use the place, 1 that actually might work. We have again asked at every meeting for ideas, months ago you recommended something at a meeting I asked for more info.

I'll be more than happy to resign my "Inner Club". There is no such thing, we are more open and accepting of new members than any other club I have participated in...

03-01-2013, 05:30 PM
Sorry to see the drama...but stoked that we're going to have a swap! I'm a new member...and I live a bit far, but I'm happy to help with anything I can. Let me know. :-)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

03-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Several months ago I did volunteer and recommend places but have never heard back from you or a swap board. To be exact it was on 10-20-2012 that I emailed you and asked to be placed on the board/help and suggestion of a place to inquire. Also I just tried to volunteer again and have been turned away. Here I am offering to help but will get the we do everything but beg speech.

You mentioned above that you are looking in the area of RT 70 and what is the major city/town on RT 70, Washington!! I am just saying that RT 70 is not Pittsburgh or close to. I am not sure how RT 70 is central to Pittsburgh but if that is where it is so be it.

I am sorry you are offended but I have tried to volunteer to help with this project. If you feel that you can run this event with a few people, I will wait for the event to come and attend just like any other person.

I have done nothing but try to fit into this club but it seems like there cliques and either you are in or you are out. I have met a bunch of great people at the meeting and have had some good conversation with them at the meetings. I have tried to promote the club and have had a few people join on my recommendation. I have tried to spur conversation on the forum boards but get minimal response.

03-01-2013, 06:12 PM
I am sure I am going to ruffle the feathers of the inner circle of the club with this post.

I (and am sure many other club members) take great umbrage at your tone and your attempt to portray our actions as dishonest, secretive or somehow underhanded.

The board (you called it an inner circle) is made up of club members that are openly elected by the membership (annualy). The board rarely acts without input and/or often a vote from the general membership. There is nothing "secret" about anything that the board does. We have been fully open about the club finances, purchases, meeting schedule, and events.

This is going to be a club sponsored event so why are there only select people on the secret board for a frag swap? We should hold an open sign-up and elect a board. If this is going to work we are going to need to work as a whole rather than the few.

As stated above, there is nothing "secret". We as a "club" were able to pull off MACNA in 2007. The "board" did the planning with the input of the members. Being a club sponsored event, the board was responsible for oversight and organization. That is exactly what the board is elected to do.

If the club holds a "frag swap" then the "board" (doing what they were elected to do) will organize the swap. As with MACNA or any other club function the board will seek the input of the membership and ask for help when and where it is needed.

This is going to be a club sponsored event so why are there only select people on the secret board for a frag swap?

Again, there is nothing "secret" going on. The membership elected a board of directors. That board is charged with running the club. Part of running the club is planning events, such as the proposed frag swap. As stated, the board usually (and in this case HAS ALREADY) sought the input of the membership. We have accepted (and are accepting) input from ANY of our members willing to help.

Forgive my frankness, but you appear to refer to "grunt work" as if it were beneath you or any other member. Rest assured, the "board" does piles of "grunt work". Something as simple as the fish food meeting last month took us 3 full days of prep, including trips to the strip district for fresh fish, numerous calls to each other and vendors to place orders for foods, bags, etc. There were hours preparing the stinky food, packing it and freezing it and cleaning up the mess. We then did it all over again for the demo at the meeting. We spend our time driving speakers to and from the airport, picking up meeting supplies, dealing with the venue managers, taking care of the website, membership rolls, sponsor relationships, raffle donations, event plans, road trip organization, finances, etc. It is ALL grunt work.

03-01-2013, 06:30 PM
I always thought of us as the "stone cutters" of the fish world lol

05-11-2013, 08:17 PM
I haven't made it to any meetings recently thanks to my work and racing schedule but more than happy to help if there's a need.

07-13-2013, 10:52 PM
I am hoping this happens, let me know how I can contribute when the time comes.

11-08-2013, 06:07 AM
heck im just excited that I found this site! for 2 years ive been involved with Aquarium Advice and couldn't seem to find a lot of people around here. to Hunt, I would just take a deep breath and let the board do what its designed to. theres no need to get worked up over something as trivial as a supposed secretive board. all will continue on and we will get to feed our obsessions soon enough :)