PDA

View Full Version : Sump build questions

KelliZachMOM
01-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Going to be attempting to build a sump/fuge for my 55G DT. I think I got the basics down, but still unsure on a couple things. I have a couple options, 1st is sump in stand which is going to limit me on size. 2nd and preferred option is plumb it to basement and then I can go with 30G and still have room for ATO too. What size overflow and pump? This is where I get confused. Under stand option I was thinking 300 overflow and 250 pump. Basement option is what has me stumped. My reasoning is, I would think since the water has to travel farther you would need a stronger pump.
Also, right now I run a HOB skimmer. Can I still use that and hang it on sump or do I need to use a submersible skimmer.

joelbird
01-28-2013, 06:19 PM
I was in the exact situation you are in about 4 months ago. I have a 93 gallon cube which leaves no room under the stand to get everything I have or want under it. So I went through the floor. The thing you need to take into account is the head pressure of the pump. You measure how far from the placement of the pump in the sump to the top of the return in the display. this is the height you need to pump the water or called "head pressure". Then take that height and apply it to the pump specs. most list flow rate at different heights . It might be a 1200 gph pump at 2 feet but at 10-12 feet 850 gph or less. So then you need to decided how many times an hour you want to turn over the main tank. 550 gph would be ten times and some say that is what you want. Nothing makes life better than working on a sump on a stand in the open.

As for the HOB skimmer. I believe you can use the skimmer as long as there is flow in the sump to move the skimmed water away from being re-skimmed. just make sure your skimmer in bigger than you need and not just enough. Can never have to much skimming. Hope this helps.

jdspisak
01-30-2013, 02:15 AM
The more flow the better. Is your tank already drilled? What is your overflow rated at? What hob skimmer are you using?

KelliZachMOM
01-30-2013, 04:48 AM
Tank Is not drilled so no overflow. I was going to go with a HOB overflow. Skimmer is a Aqua Euro USA rated for 90G. I do want to upgrade my skimmer, but will it work for now in sump?

BBoley24
01-30-2013, 11:14 AM
"The more flow the better" isn't all true. Too much flow through a sump tank limits the validity of a true sump tank. You want as much of the running water to go through the skimmer before it hits the display...

If the water is rushing through your sump 15x the display size, you're not skimming efficiently. Stick to around 3x - 10x your display size preferably on the downside. ie 500gph for a 100g display.

Also take into consideration head weight. For a 55g tank, id say anything between 200gph to 500gph after head weight is calculated in is the way to go.

Figure out how far you are going to plumb your pump... measure that in vertical height... (horizontal also important but not as vertical) and find a chart of the pump that you are looking at.

Reefcentral also has a great little application that you can plug your parameters into and it will give you a head loss calculation. Great way to find the pump that you need for your application.

Hope this helps