PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Glass edges slightly off.... what to do

BCooey
12-18-2012, 03:09 AM
So I'm starting a lagoon-style tank build and picked up jakesalk's 3'x4'x12" frag tank to start. The only problem is that the aquarium seems to have been built slightly unevenly (see picture below).

I get the impression that they probably used some scrap glass that wasn't cut perfectly square since it was built for frag farming. two of the corners match perfectly evenly and two of the corners are off by about 3mm.

having a nice, smooth, even rim would be ideal, so I'm trying to figure out my options. If I have to scrap the existing glass, then so be it, but my other thought was to sand the glass down to meet the other rim then gradually slope it up the taller side. I'm not too concerned structurally about this - the tank is completely overbuilt (1/2" thick monster holding less than 80 gallons).

So... Thoughts about sanding the non-matching corners down?

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r172/spyderbcspam/new%20aquarium/glass_zps04a7230a.jpg

framer412
12-18-2012, 07:45 AM
I have used a angle grinder with a sanding pad on it. Their is a chance that u will chip the glass sand a little bit at a time to be sure not to heat the glass up or it will crack. Also put the tank an a pice of carpet or something soft to absorb the vibration

Hope that helps good luck you will need it

BBoley24
12-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Holy crap. That's way off...

BCooey
12-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Yeah - let's just say the original manufacturer is more than a little bit notorious for this kind of craftsmanship.

I started hand-sanding the edge with 150 grit sandpaper.... it's taking a long time, but it looks and feels a million times nicer already. I might go-ahead and sand down and polish the entire rim a little bit to give it a more beveled feel...