PDA

View Full Version : In need of some help

ssawtelle
10-21-2012, 09:19 PM
Hi i was recently medically retired from the army due to some injuries that i received overseas and as a result i am unable to work. I have built myself a 300 gallon tank and been able to buy some things for it, but am so far away from reaching my goal of a full reef tank. If you have any fish or corals or rock that you don't need or would be willing to sell for cheap, please let me know. Something about this hobby calms me down like nothing else can and i would be more than happy to give anything you grace me with, a new and comfortable home. thank you for looking and have a great day.

BBoley24
10-22-2012, 02:39 PM
I have some live rock... i PM'd you with details...

fishies7
11-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Welcome to the forum, Stefan! I also have some rock for you as part of our trade. I'll bring it next week when I come to pick up the tank. See you then!

fishies7
11-07-2012, 01:29 PM
I have some live rock... i PM'd you with details...

I might be able to deliver your rock, as I'll be out there later next week. Let me know if you all strike up a deal and I'll run it out there for you if you'd like. PM me if you're interested.

edzo
11-08-2012, 12:45 AM
I have a few soft corals you are welcome to, also can frag you some Xenia. Pm me for details, probably have some dry goods as well.

BBoley24
11-08-2012, 11:53 AM
He hasn't gotten back to me....

ssawtelle
11-11-2012, 03:22 PM
just sent you back a pm sorry for the delay i was out of town

jer77
11-11-2012, 06:20 PM
I sent you a PM about a red sea butterfly. I may also have 5-10lbs of LR in my sump to spare. I grow halimeda macroalgae in my sump which I have plenty too. A 300g tank is a nice size! What all does your setup entail? Do you have a sump/refugium?

ssawtelle
11-12-2012, 07:57 PM
well all my stuff is DIY and in my eyes pretty nice, my sump needs some work, but all in all it works and looks pretty good, Fishies7 has seen it she can tell you. In my setup i have a 300gallon tall display tank with 60lbs rock and 300lbs sand. for lights i have 3 400w metal halides with 14k bulbs. i am running a canister filter with GFO, and Purigen. my sump has 100lbs sand. i have 2 300w heaters. i use 2 pumps one is 300gph for my return, and my skimmer is a ETSS skimmer rated for 450 gallons i believe. i have a rodi system feeding my ato valve in my sump and i feed my fish flakes at night and mysis in the morning. I cool my sump with a box fan aimed at the water and have all the lights on timers. everything but the skimmer, and canister filter i built myself and have gotten really good deals, i bought the glass wich is 3/4" thick for 60 bucks, the sump is acrylic and cost 100. i got the lights from an old wearhouse and just put in new ballasts and wired them, the stand is 4x4's and 2x10's and the front is open and only has legs on the side so i have tons of area to get to my sump. i drilled the glass for the aquarium and built the overflow wall from a black sheet of PVC and used construction grade silicon wich can hold up to 2600psi and framed it all in wood, which i really would like to swich to aluminum but money is tight. and i light my sump with t8 highbay lights. sorry i know its alot to read i am just really proud of all my work. i cant officially work because i got injued over in iraq and they said my injuries would only get worse if i work, so i put all my spare time into my aquarium and my swimming family members.

TomNeely
11-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Thank you for sharing.

Could you post a picture of your system?

ssawtelle
11-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Here is my tank, you can see the diy MH up top

fishies7
11-14-2012, 12:31 AM
I've seen this system first-hand, and it is amazing! Although, it could really use some more rock and fish, so let chip and and make some donations to our new friend!

ssawtelle
12-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Sorry to those of you who wanted to see me at the meeting last night, I really wished I could have gone but was in the hospital the last couple of days, getting a bunch of tests and X-rays and just got home this morning.