PDA

View Full Version : Whos bringing coral to January meeting?

bmiller1234
01-10-2011, 06:28 PM
I know we have tried this in the past but was just wondering anyone whos attending the meeting whos donating corals for fragging/raffling? Thought we could get an advance list going of what all will be available in the raffle.

I will be donating...

ORA Marshall Island Blue Tip Bottle Brush 1-2 1" pcs
ORA Tri Color Valida mini colony
Purple Monti Digi
Purple Polyped acro
Few Heads Candy Cane

amandacox
01-12-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm bringing some Hydnophora, Sinularia (donated by member getting out of the hobby).

I'm also bringing some frag plugs, epoxy, Coral Frenzy, etc. from the PMASI "Raffle Stash".

Amanda :)

Anthony Calfo
01-13-2011, 12:46 PM
I can bring some purple/blue scrolling sponge (photosynthetic). Hot in the trade presently.

rostr02
01-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Don't have any coral to bring but will bring some coral rx if people want to use it.

acesnales
01-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Hi all,

The club purchased the following corals for the demo:

Red cynarina (we had requests for scolymia, but nice ones were too pricey. Cynarina is similar)
Pink acropora
Green/purple favia
Elegance (this is a show stopper and should produce several very nice sized frags!)

I am personally bringing:

Plating montipora
Xenia
Pink with purple polyps bridsnest
lots of fragging supplies

Anthony Morgan donated a nice colony of sinularia

Adam

amandacox
01-20-2011, 04:37 PM
We will also have a 46 gallon bowfront aquarium with black trim, black stand and glass top for the raffle. The tank is not drilled and was donated by a former member.

bmiller1234
01-20-2011, 06:39 PM
WOW, Looking like another good frag workshop and an awesome raffle. Definitely looking forward to sat night!!!! Thanks to the club for some great items this year and all current donations.

I will be bringing a few containers of chaeto for the raffle also

acer
01-21-2011, 02:29 PM
I will be bringing a frag of green with pink tip frogspawn ( 2- 3 heads) , and some softies = Pink Anthillia (spell) , green Sp ( cant remember/ spell), and maybe a small yellow toad stool. Hope my head cold gets better so I can think LOL.

acer
01-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Hey guys can we organize this better- I felt bad the huge colony of pink Anthelia that I brought was wasted. Since I had not planned on bringing him back home I had no place to put him safely, and rather than poison my whole tank I had no choice but to put him outside and let him die. What a WASTE!!

TomNeely
01-24-2011, 11:33 AM
I believe the meeting was organized appropriately. If you would have announced you were just going to kill the coral someone would have taken it.

I would like to thank Adam and Anthony as I learned some new ways to mount corals.

acer
01-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Everyone was given a chance to take it - but with the quality and quantity of the frags available no one wanted it. I was not cutting down anybody - so don't take it that way. I just meant that we ( including me) should have listed the corals ( names and sizes) and you guys ( the board) could have let everybody know what corals you were buying fro the meeting. The meeting was awesome with super corals frags and lessons for fraggin. I am totally responsible as I should have had water made in case I did have to bring him back. It is just a lesson in being better prepared and better organized/informed.

acesnales
01-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Hi all,

Thanks everyone for coming to the meeting and for the generous coral donations. They all helped make the demo a success!

Ted, I am sorry to hear that you didn't have a choice to sacrifice the coral, and you are right, we could have planned a little better and been a little better organized with what corals we would have available. We will take this as a lesson for the future.

cloakerpoked
01-26-2011, 12:08 AM
The biggest challenge I think is that a very small number of members use or at least actively use this board. That's not really something that the board has control over, and a lot of people who brought stuff probably didn't even read this thread before coming to the meeting and planning what they were bringing. We COULD make it so you HAVE to register what you're bringing for the workshop, but that probably would create more issues (i.e. lower donations) than it would solve. At least that's the way I see it. Great workshop and I look forward to a great meeting schedule (at least the meetings I'll be able to make it to.)

acesnales
01-26-2011, 01:21 AM
cloakerpoked,

Good points.

We currently have a lot of out of date email addresses and as you said, we still have low participation in this forums. My hope is that by next years frag workshop, most members will be at least occasional forum users and that funneling membership through the website will help get all of the email addresses updated.

I don't ever want to discourage anyone from bringing donations, but perhaps in the future we can offer some guidance. We can request that no one brings leathers and request that they post in the official thread in this forum so we can keep track. We can also advise everyone that bringing it doesn't guarantee that we will use the coral and they may have to take it back home.

Adam

SALTWATERSANCTUARY
01-26-2011, 03:33 AM
I like leathers and all the other softies to be honest. I took the one bucket from Ted at the meeting and honestly I think that I would have taken the other one he got rid of if I would have known he didn't have a place for it back home. I won one of the Aussie Elegance frags and I think I still like the huge soft coral he gave away better. :)

Anthony Calfo
01-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Acer...with all due respect, your post makes no sense. Unless we are missing information. I fear you killed a coral for nothing. Do you realize, my friend, the extraordinary rigors of time and water quality that all corals endure upon import? I'm perplexed how you had no choice but to kill the coral? There was nothign toxic or risky about a coral that had been out of a healthy tank presumably for mere hours. Even half a day is nothing compared to the 24-72 hours under far worse conditions they endure on import.

I think you overreacted then and now, my friend. Indeed, if any one of us knew you simply didnt want the coral we would have easily found it a home. We dont bite...just chat us up, bro. :)

acer
01-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Anthony- we discussed the super toxicity of corals when cut open at the meeting - this guy had 2 nice frags out of him at my house, then 3-4 out of him at the meeting. Remember, Adams story - "even fish died". It is not that I did not want it. I could not put it back into the tank without possibly loosing all my corals and fish. Read the post ...."my friend" . I checked out the water that the coral was in when I got home and it was awful, he looked terrible and I could not assess his condition further without risking my whole tank. I am not over reacting, i am merely using the death of that coral to make a point. My post does make perfect sense, unless Adams story was not factual. Why would I, or anybody else, risk their whole tank livestock to save a coral that I, and apparently many other people , have healthy frags of already. My point - from my original post, was that I just think and still do think there should be a way or organize the next frag workshop better. I certainly should have let everybody know I was bringing that beast of a coral. The excuse of limited use of this website to communicate to others is irrelevant. WE certainly we able to communicate about the date of the meeting changing "somehow". I agree Cloakerpoker , for regular meeting this type of registering coral frags, etc. would be detrimental toward giving frags for the raffle and an unnecessary burden. So we should NOT do it for regular meetings. I was, and still am, just talking about the next frag workshop = NEXT YEAR. I think the "over-reacting" was not on my part.

acer
01-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Anthony- NOW - I am over reacting- the next time you start out a post with "all due respect" don't continue with "your post make no sense" they are dichotomous statements it belittles your expertise , knowledge, and education. He, he, I do love to stir the pot, one of several bad personality traits I have.

cloakerpoked
01-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Civility gentlemen...isn't that what our wonderful government learned from the recent Tuscon events :) Well, then again, just because you can sit beside one another won't keep any of them from blasting one another in the media, so maybe what we want is peaceful co-habitation of a given area, and I suppose that whether or not that can be achieved is yet to be determined.

OK, on a more serious note, I think that the evolution of the PMASI communication system and message delivery system to this website and email (as well as the availability of these message boards and the ability to sign up and renew membership dues online) has been accurately and effectively communicated to all of the members in several of the meetings over the course of the last several months. It probably wouldn't hurt to re-iterate it, and hopefully get a much higher number of members communicating on this website in order to get everyone on the same (or similar pages.)

Ted---As for Adam's anecdote at the meeting, if my memory serves me correctly, I believe that the person conducting the experiment was putting the corals in a blender to determine the toxicity of not just the slime from the corals, but also the coral tissue itself. I would venture to say that you probably could have been ok putting it back in your tank, but certainly understand your hesitance to do so based on real and/or perceived risks to your tank. It is a shame that someone couldn't take the coral home with them, but in perspective, this unfortunate event is hardly worth the time we've all spent on it :)

I just hope that we can all learn lessons from what has occurred, and will be able to avoid similar problems in the future, which I think we can all agree on.

hybridazn
01-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Yes the toxicity of corals as explained in the meeting was after they threw the whole coral in a blender. U might have been ok with puttinvit back in your tank but I see your point, I wouldn't want to risk my dt either. You didn't have a qt you could have put it in temp. Until it healed?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

acer
01-27-2011, 12:47 AM
Nope, no QT tank, please read the posts. I am kidding/messing with Anthony guys - I would bet he got a kick out of the posts. Besides he is the one that turned this personal. I think anybody with 2 brain cells to rub together knows that I respect and enjoy him. And I hope he was messing with me a bit and was not really trying to say that I am a overreacting idiot. If he was, I will talk to him in person - one on one- PM me Anthony of you have anything to say to me about this. Seriously, I really originally posted just to make the point about trying to utilize the technology ( email and this website) that is available to the club now to organize that specific meeting better next year - that is ALL this was about. Yes , very unfortunate about the coral , but about 1/2 of it was utilized for the 2 frags I took off the coral before coming to the meeting and then 3 were taken and distributed at the meeting. So, no real big deal- after all 1 coral became 5. The 2 frags I took are doing great and hopefully so are the ones taken at the meeting. I will bet that many of the large softies cut up for frag swaps do not do much better than 50% survival for various reasons. As stated before, without any whining or overreacting that the fault is entirely mine. I should have had an additional tank or tub with good water ready. I just never thought that I would be bringing it back home with me and I used all the extra water I had doing a small water change and adding water to the tub that I brought him to the meeting in. I was trying to be generous to the club since it has been great to me. I now wish I never posted or brought the coral ....... I am out and wont post again on this thread. Please have the decency to PM further personal comments and opinions.....

hybridazn
01-27-2011, 02:07 AM
sorry, didnt see anything in previous posts about qt, i must have skimmed over it maybe? but oh well whats done is done. i wasnt trying to cut you down or anything negative, so hopefully you didnt take it that way.

acesnales
01-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Hi all,

I don't see anything else constructive coming out of this thread so I am closing it. If anyone has anything else to say to each other, please do so by PM or in person and try to be nice!

Adam