PDA

View Full Version : Blue Spot Jawfish

BBoley24
09-24-2012, 10:45 AM
I just wanted to post a personal thought today...

I really enjoy the blue spot jawfish. I don't own one yet but I love the mannerisms of the little guy. I did some research on his origins and it's a pretty cool story! I understand why he so expensive and sought after.

My issue is that I do have a rimless tank thus cannot contain him in my main display. So I think I will setup a small pico for him in the future because I just can't resist the spectacle and antics that he brings!

What are your thoughts on a 3-5 gallon pico tank holding this guy? I would put other things in there as well like nudibranch and other not so moblie critters. His natural habitat seems to be pretty central. He would be spot fed and will have plenty of things to build a fortress out of. Do you consider this to be unethical?

hybridazn
09-24-2012, 03:16 PM
I don't think it's unethical, although if I did it I would be more on the 5 gallon side rather than the 2 gallon side. Like you said they mostly stick to one spot and don't swim a bunch. I say go for it!

AHDOnline
09-24-2012, 05:29 PM
I really think you are going to be cutting it really close doing anything less than a 20. You need to provide these fish a nice deep sand bed, and that alone would consume half of a 3-5 gallon. The more room they have the more sand they have the more they will nest and be less likely to jump IMHO, not that it prevents it. I think it would be a bad idea personally to do anything that small, and minimum tank recommendations from any site is 30gallons.

hybridazn
09-24-2012, 08:00 PM
I retract my last statement. Although a smaller tank would be good for a smaller one. But they grow rather long, so I would say that a tank along the lines of a bc14 would be ideal.

A nice sand bed is almost a requirement for these guys, but having almost a cave like structure going down into the sand would be a good substitution for it.

fishies7
09-29-2012, 08:59 PM
I, too, am in love with the blue spot jawfish. I think it would be well worth it to get him a 20-30 tank and perhaps give him a companion fish or two but make him the main attraction. And since I'm also from Greensburg, I would love to come over and admire him from time to time!

BTW, I see that you are a junior member. You really ought to officially join! The membership pays for itself in store discounts alone! (Not to mention all the cool field trips and excusions we go on that the club pays for!) Meeting are the 3rd Sat. of each month.

BBoley24
09-30-2012, 12:13 AM
I did join! I went to last years meeting on RODI road around christmas time and paid in full for a year and never recieved an official membership card or anything! I will be renewing my membership this year though.

fishies7
10-03-2012, 02:55 PM
I see they changed your status! Yeay!

BTW: If you do decide to go for the bluespot jawfish, I know of a biocube with all equipment for sale cheap. It was my bro-in-laws, and he only used it for about a year-- I think it's 28 gallons. Anyway, it would be ideal for a jawfish as it is complete enclosed. Let me know if you're interested.

BBoley24
10-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Oh snap they did! Thank you admin! I tried calling you today but no answer :(

AHDOnline
10-03-2012, 05:40 PM
actually you changed that as your title its not a paid member status. Paid members will have a PMASI Member avatar on their name.

If you have questions about your membership let me know either by email or pm.

Thanks
Dave