PDA

View Full Version : Water Movement

bkHunt74
09-11-2012, 03:25 PM
How do you get water movement in the corners of your tank without blowing a big divit in the sand and blowing to much current lower flow corals? I have a 400gph in one corner and have to angle it up to keep from blowing sand around. My other front corner has low water movement and is getting a little cyno right not so I need a little more flow but have to get another small powerhead.

I had a Dragon (Bullet) Goby who did an awsome job of keeping sand clean but had to get rid of him due to it covering all corals with sand as he swam from one end to the other. What is a good sandsifting goby that stays close to the bottom while sifting sand? I was looking at a Twin Spot, Tiger Watchman or Golden Head Sleeper as a few that might not swim up in the water column depositing sand on my open brains and fungia.

Also how much water flow does everybody have in their system?

Mag 7 return - guess about 500gph
Rio - 400 gph
Koralia - 1000 gph

total 1900 for about about 20 times per hour turn over

Brian

hybridazn
09-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Just keep messing with how everything is pointed, that's the only way to get it. What size tank do you have again?

As for flow in my tank I have 2 mp40's, one on opposite ends running on short pulse mode 100%. And my return pump is a mag 24. So total movement is around 9400 gph on a 180 gallon. I was getting cyno growth bad too for a while but I moved my returns around a bit an it all cleared right up. Not a bit anywhere now.

bkHunt74
09-11-2012, 06:28 PM
I have a 90 gallon with an eshopp sump. Approx 100 lbs LR and 3" sand bed.

I have a 3 - 1000 gpm Koralia sitting around (came with tank) but the problem I have with them is that they all produce such a narrow hard current that I do not get a nice natural movement of corals and not to mention that they are so large. I al going to try and get a few smaller ones and run 3 or 4 (200gphish) that I can tuck in rock work.

I have though about trying to make a pipe that can come off my locline that can go all the way across the back top of the tank and has little holes drilled that can be aimed down the front of tank. Thinking I can make 10 or so holes and that would give me some nice flow off the front glass.

Brian

TomNeely
09-12-2012, 09:27 AM
75 gallon. MJ 1200 return and a MP 40 on high at one end of the tank.