PDA

View Full Version : Water Storage

bkHunt74
08-31-2012, 08:24 PM
Well I FINALLY ordered my RO/DI unit. Now I have a few questions.

1. I will be using 2 20g rubbermaid cans. I would like to put a valve near the bottom. What is everybody using and where can I get 2 of them?

2. How long can you store saltwater after it is mixed in the can?

3. How long does the water need to sit before I can use it?

4. Do I need to have circulation pumps to mix the water?

5. Anything else I need to know?

Thanks

jerpa
08-31-2012, 11:50 PM
Well I FINALLY ordered my RO/DI unit. Now I have a few questions.

1. I will be using 2 20g rubbermaid cans. I would like to put a valve near the bottom. What is everybody using and where can I get 2 of them?

Get a uniseal bulkhead alternative. Then you can simply plumb it with a PVC valve.

2. How long can you store saltwater after it is mixed in the can?

It depends on the salt mix. Reef Crystals, among others, contains vitamins and other organics. If the mix is kept agitated it will keep. If left unstirred the organics will degrade and ammonia can build up. Regular Instant Ocean does not contain organics and can be stored as long as you like with no need for circulation.

3. How long does the water need to sit before I can use it?

Most recommend letting it mix at least 24 hours.

4. Do I need to have circulation pumps to mix the water?

It is MUCH easier to use a powerhead to mix the saltwater but it isn't necessary if you want to use elbow grease.

5. Anything else I need to know?

Fill the water somewhere that won't be destroyed when you forget to shut the @#&% thing off and fill a 32 gallon Brute with 75 gallons of water. Or they sell those float switches.

Thanks

No problem.

AquaWorldPSC
09-01-2012, 12:53 AM
1. For the valves, I would use 2 bulkheads. Yes, they will still work on rounded garbage cans. Once you have the bulkhead on you can then attach a valve. The bulkhead will be really reliable against any leaks. We do sell and always keep in stock a few size of bulkheads, 1/2", 3/4" 1", 1.5" and 2".

AquaWorldPSC
09-01-2012, 12:58 AM
Oh and look into an In-line TDS meter, it measures Input and Output. You want to install the Input after the RO Membrane and the Output on the exit of the DI Cartridge. You can monitor when your membrane and DI needs changed. This instrument is vital for making reliable water, you never know when your RO membrane prematurely wears or when your DI Resin becomes prematurely exhausted.

bkHunt74
09-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the answers. The unit I bought has a build in pressure gauge, booster pump, built in monitor for TSS and to do automatic backwash. I will be getting 2 bulkheads then and some valves. Also I will just mix saltwater as needed.

The critters will be much happier because I it will be a lot easier to do water changes since I will not have to haul jugs of water.

bkHunt74
09-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Tss = tds.

jerpa
09-01-2012, 11:06 AM
I mentioned uniseals because they are cheaper. :-) Bulkheads can be used just as effectively. Dave's Aquastock usually has uniseals in stock. I would consider them both pretty reliable if installed correctly.

bkHunt74
09-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Are there any bulkheads that I can buy at Home Depot? Aqua World and Dave's are both the opposite way that I was going to pick up my RO/DI.

fetta
09-01-2012, 11:59 AM
elmers i do believe has some bulkheads along with wet pets