PDA

View Full Version : When clowns attack!

TomNeely
08-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Hello, I had a experience last night and was wondering if anyone else had the same issue.

I purchased a Flameback Angel and a Neon Wrasse last night. When I placed them into my aquarium both Ocellaris Clownfish and the Behn’s Damsel attacked both fish. They continued for an hour and then I was able to net the beaten Angel but did not see the Neon Wrasse. I placed the Angel in the sump.

Why would they freak out so bad? I have added other fish in the last couple of months and none of the fish were aggressive towards them.

What should I do?

I blame the vodka dosing causing my fish to be mean drunks!!! :) (JUST JOKING)

hybridazn
08-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Clowns can be VERY territorial. When I added my Salfin tang to my tank a few years ago my Maroon clownfish immediately swam up to hit and began hitting it. It was hit so hard I heard the impact of it. But then after that they were fine.

TomNeely
08-03-2012, 02:06 PM
I knew that was common for Maroons but not for Ocellaris.

Should I re-aquascape?

TomNeely
08-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Nevermind. RIP Angel...

hybridazn
08-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Sorry dude, that sucks man

bkHunt74
08-03-2012, 07:58 PM
How big are your ocellaris and how big was the angle? Thought they were pretty gentel fish.

Sorry for the loss!

TomNeely
08-06-2012, 08:43 AM
The ocellaris are large. I've had them approximately for 4 years. The angel was small but I never would have thought the ocellaris would have attacked it…

pghsymbioticman
08-06-2012, 09:31 PM
My mated pair of Clarkii Clownfish are extremely aggressive, especially the female. The female bites my hands, fingers, and arms, when I working on the tank. The male has not attacked me. They attacked any fish, which I put in the 40g breeder. Now the two miserable couple live alone with a long tentacle anemone in the 14g BioCube. I wouldn't trust a Clownfish, that has kind of claimed a tank has his/her home. If you are going to add clownfish with other fish, introduce them all to the tank at the same time or introduce the clownfish after all the other fish are established. On the other hand, I have seen the Coral Angel be aggressive to a Six Line Wrasse.