PDA

View Full Version : Is this a secret ................

big dog
01-01-2011, 09:27 AM
.............. or do I just need to get up-to-date, garf.org? The information seems to be endless on reef setup. I've never had a coral tank and long story short, I setup a secondary 40 breeder and really had no plans for it other than to hold rock that I have completed the eradication of aiptasia from the rock on a established tank I purchased. I found it researching coral supplements.

acesnales
01-03-2011, 08:30 PM
big dog,

Garf has a lot of good info and a lot of hokey dogma. I found that the combination of questionable information and the pain of trying to navigate that site was enough to turn me away.

Adam

bmiller1234
01-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Haha. Hokey dogma. I agree with Adam. I am sure they know what they are talking about but to figure it out with their layout is tough. Its like putting a puzzle together upside down...

big dog
01-04-2011, 11:35 AM
I found it a lot easier than finding information in a forum search ............... :) I agree it ain't the easiest but after a few minutes it ain't so bad. I think they're reef calculator is neat but I question the amount of supplements they use unless it's for one of those overpopulated coral tanks you see so much of. IMO, too many corals is as bad as not enough.

Anthony Calfo
01-13-2011, 12:50 PM
a lot of hokey info, agreed. You really need to know what you are doing to sort the pepper from the fly...err, well. And if you knew that much, you likely wouldn't give the site much of a look. Misinformation abounds there.

cloakerpoked
01-21-2011, 12:26 AM
I'm suspicious of anyone trying to sell me all the miracle elixers that will make your corals grow magically. As stated in your other post, detrius is the best for some corals (especially soft corals and active filter feeders) and the best way to get that is to add fish. Upshot of having fish is that my wife will actually look at my tank :)