PDA

View Full Version : ID please

hsae
06-22-2012, 06:28 PM
I found these guys at the glass from the refugium today.

I apologize for the poor picture quality, I had to do it with the I-Phone through a special device. Anyhow, the grid is 1mm

jerpa
06-22-2012, 06:49 PM
The first one is a spiroid worm. A harmless filter feeder. If you look closely you can see their fan extended from the shell. The second I believe is some sort of non-invasive flatworm. Couldn't get anything more definitive when I looked them up.

hsae
06-22-2012, 09:41 PM
Thank you. Appreciated!
Wonder if they will survive. We shall see ...

jerpa
06-23-2012, 04:07 AM
Oh yes. They will survive and proliferate. I was quick with an answer because I have them all over my refugium glass and had looked them up already.

BeanAnimal
06-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Herman,

Enjoy the stuff as it comes and goes. The spirobids will multiply and may or may not stick around long term. I had thousands a few months into the system. The sump is now mostly fan worms with very ling white tubes.

The second photo is likely a flatworm of somekind... good or bad, I wouldn't worry about it in a new system as things will come and go as the system cycles and matures.

I still enjoy looking at the macro fauna as much as the corals and fish. Purchase a set of oggles or ask to borrow Anthony's. You will enjoy what you see.

http://www.ogles.info/ about $500 but a quality instrument

There is also the DD Nanoscope for $100 and it appears to do a decent job (premium aquatics has it, sure Dave can get it).

hsae
06-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Thank you everybody for the input.
It is really cool to see the micro flora & fauna in a tank.

Bill, I have looked at both devices you mentioned. To my knowledge you do not get an camera adaptor for the Ogles. I believe with the D-D NanoScope you are able to shoot some pictures. Anyhow, I didn't have any of these devices in my hands yet. So we will see.
For sure it is fascinating to explore more ...