PDA

View Full Version : In Search of Halimeda

fishies7
04-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Hi there. If you have some halimeda in your tank and are willing to share a frag, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't have much, but I may be able to provide some hermit crabs, small brittle stars, or something else in exchange. Thanks!

fishies7
04-29-2012, 01:12 AM
I case you were wondering, I am still in search of halimeda, live rock, and live sand. Let me know if you have any to sell/ trade. Thanks!

high-mark
04-29-2012, 09:54 AM
First of all I don't have any Halimeda. I'm curious why you are looking to introduce it into your tank. My experience with these macro algae that it requires a lot of calcium and grows rapidly went it has an ample supply. I run a calcium reactor and it grew like crazy. It took me months to finally get rid of it.
They also do not tolerate extensive pruning so that's how I finally got rid of it.

fishies7
05-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Since I add kalkwasser, I can provide calcium at the rate I want it to grow. I really like to have some green plants in my tank that my tangs won't demolish overnight. And finally, I am setting up a non-reef tank that is going to need some plantlife in lieu of corals.

Thanks, though, for warning me of the dangers of halimeda. I appreciate your heads-up!