PDA

View Full Version : Is this ich or something else?

raynist
02-03-2012, 12:16 AM
I have 3 fish that currently have this, one just died. This looks like the same thing that wiped out almost all of my fish in my 180 over the summer. Pictures are not the greatest, their pectoral fins seem to be fraying.....

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq324/raynist/e286b913.jpg

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq324/raynist/56f3384d.jpg

Thanks
Ray Nist

AHDOnline
02-03-2012, 12:27 AM
Best I can tell from the pictures, yes...

hybridazn
02-03-2012, 12:33 AM
That would appear to be ich. Ozone and a hyposalinity treatment is what I recommend doing asap. I just had a ich outbreak wipe out almost all my fish as well this past year. Hypo did the trick, along with a strict quarantine period for ANYTHING new

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

big dog
02-03-2012, 07:46 AM
I haven't a doubt that's Ich. If there are other fish not showing, expect them to come down with it. Could you share your last addition and how long it's been since it was introduced? Purchased locally or online?

I have a 40 breeder, heater, and cycled penguin filter (even water) that can be setup rather quick if you need help.

SALTWATERSANCTUARY
02-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Agreeing with the others from what I can tell I would say ich also Ray. Possibly a secondary bacterial issue on the fins that are fraying as well from the initial ich infection. If you can get them out of your reef and into a separate tank I have had real good results with Crypto-Pro (quinine sulfate) for copper sensitive fish like angels. Ozone (with a controller) would be my choice if you chose to treat them in their current tank.

raynist
02-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Those 3 fish were added about 6 weeks ago. They all died.

Prior to that had the same outbreak in the same tank that wiped out 90% of my fish. I waited 5 months to add another fish.

Prior to that I had not added a fish to that tank in over 2 years. It all started in July, a week after I setup a projector and home theater in that room.

We stated watching movies regularly and very loudly, like move the couch loud. I was told this would have no effect on the fish.

hybridazn
02-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Did you quarantine everything that was added to the tank?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

raynist
02-04-2012, 05:44 PM
I did not quarantine.

The initial outbreak 6 months ago occurred when there hadn't been a fish added to the tank in over 2 years.

The pics don't show it, but it really doesn't look like ich I have seen in the past, almost looks fungal. It is (was) covering their eyes and their fins where very cloudy looking. Usually ich shows up as a few spots, goes away for a few days and comes back heavier. This right away looked like I had taken them out of the water and dropped them in salt. I did not dispose of the butterfly fish body yet, I will see if I can get a better picture if it is still on him.

It also occurred in a second tank in August wiping out 5 of 7 fish. This tank hadn't had a fish added in over 4 years and never saw a sign of ich in that time. I reall think it is not a coincidence that this started happening after the home theater was setup. I hadn't lost a fish in my 180 in 3 years, setup the HT and started watching movies late at night. The 180 faces the screen. Google searches on loud music/movies came up with some saying there is no effect while others say the loud bass sounds could replicate the sound of a large predator.

Paul_PSU
02-06-2012, 09:57 PM
I had my speakers setup in my tank room and never an issue and my bass would make stuff fall off my desk. Although my tank was in with the speakers from the beginning so maybe they were use to it.

b0xjelly
02-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Ray, my tank is in a very high traffic area with lots of noise and sound and has no effect. Did you cover the tank when you installed the overhead projector? I think we talked about this before. I just had some construction done my house just a couple feet from my Tank but covered with plastic and tightened with bunji cords. Nothing got in. My tank sits at an island between living room and kitchen with exposure to a huge bay window. Lots of stimulation constantly but the are happy and healthy and I have not lost a fish in over a year. I hope u figure it out soon, your tank is so beautiful and another crash would be very frustrating I'm sure.