PDA

View Full Version : This is my 3rd tank a upgrade

high-mark
12-07-2010, 05:30 PM
This is my 3rd reef tank 1st one was 150 gallons 72" x 26" x 18" 2nd one was 60" x 24" x 36" Acrylic and next came allot of scratches. So now I ordered a glass starphire 60 x 25 x 36 tank from Miracles Aquariums out of Ontario. Its not here yet. Should be here in about 3 weeks. Now my setup consist of a

125-gallon sump

Bubble King super marina 200 internal skimmer

Aqua C RX-1C Calcium reactor

4 - MP 40 Ecotech Vortech circulating pumps

1 - 3600 gph Dolphin return pump going through a 1 manifold

MRC Nilsen Kalk reactor

Milwaukee SMs122 PH monitor

Refugium is built into the sump

50 gal tub with top off water system

2 Lumenark 111 reflectors with 250 radium metal halide bulbs

I have a platform that the 250 lbs of live rock sits on, I'm thinking about getting rid of it, to hard to hide This is a bare bottom tank and SPS will be the main coral I'll keep.

So you can get a idea of the design I included some photos, showing the sump stand and the sump. These were taken when I did the second tank, acrylic tank. This new design will have a better overflow system. I also included a picture from the front. I built a 17 foot bar in front of the tank, it makes for a nice background. The bar has a nautical theme look and feel. This was all done 4 years ago when I upgraded the 150 gallon to the 225 gallon acrylic.

More to come!!!

Please fill free to comment.

high-mark
12-07-2010, 05:32 PM
11/13/10 at 06:13 PM
I got the reactor up and running, love the huge chamber, no inlet pump, and the probe holder. After tuning it in, drops per second and bubble rate, it's working fine.
I had a K2R reactor to small for my new tank and no probe holder, plus it need a inlet pump. I'm trying to cut back on energy. When I hit the lottery i'm going to get
the Orphek 156W their not out let, here's a
link : http://orphek.com/wordpress/?p=104

However back to the AquaC RX1 i'm very happy with it. Sorry the one picture is to small, click on the other one.

high-mark
12-07-2010, 05:39 PM
The tank will be here 12/15/2010. I just got my fiberglass grate 1" thick 24" x 48"
(see picture) This will be used as a platform.
Aquascaping ideas and thoughts

Im really appreciating the length of time Ive had for the planning my Aquascape process, though, only problem is I get lots of chances to second-guess myself! First time around I made a platform out of scheduled 80 PC pipe it was 48 long by 24 wide and 2 high. This was designed for water to flow underneath using an Ecotech Vortech MP 40 pump. I wanted to provide enough empty space for flow and easy maintenance. This was originally designed for a bare bottom tank, keeping free and clear of organisms and detritus accumulation... I was thinking of keeping it bare bottom but redesigning the platform, no more rectangular with a pile of rocks on it. This time using a figure eight design (the tank can be viewed front and back so I dont have much choice). But now using some form of substrate material to hide the platform. I got a hold of some 1 fiberglass grating so the height will only be 2 inches and I have a lot of small 3 rock so I can line the edges separating the platform from the substrates. Now theres lots of other substrate materials out there, of different sizes, textures. I wonder if I should use something heavier then sand, (remember the vortech pump flowing underneath). As I build this I'll upload pictures.

high-mark
12-07-2010, 05:41 PM
A picture of the tank in production

AquaWorldPSC
12-08-2010, 01:28 AM
Looks very nice!

acer
12-08-2010, 10:08 AM
jealous, still have my 180 starfire out in the shed.....

Anthony Calfo
12-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Well done! Thank you for sharing so many pics!

high-mark
12-28-2010, 03:27 PM
With the help of Louie Bromer the fish guy and his crew, the tank is now installed. We zip tied the live rocks to the platform. I'm very pleased with the results.
Pictures: 1st one back view without upper door open, 2nd one is back view with door open to the lights. The front is just the opposite.

bmiller1234
12-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Looks really nice. Great equipment set up also. I didn't get the reef bug till after I remodeled my current home. The next house will def have an equipment room. I can't even fathom how nice it must be to not have to crawl into stand for maintenance!

high-mark
12-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks for all the nice feedback.
I had a lot of help over the years from our club (PMASI) Bob Nell, was the first member who talked me into joining, then Steve Pro and Anthony Calfo help me correct my first tank. Then Adam Cesnales helped me on my second and this one.
The club is awesome with support and ideas.

big dog
01-01-2011, 08:08 PM
If I keep talking to Greg, I'll be doing a bigger setup in my garage .................. :)

Nice work!

high-mark
01-02-2011, 12:39 AM
The image is the front of my new tank also I'm having some issues with aiptasia control. So with the help of Greg (Big Dog) Mallory and his aiptasia zapper, invented by Paul Baldassano (2nd image zapper in action). This device sends a electric current and kills the aiptasia, it begins to bubble profusely with the anemone disentigrating and floating away with the bubbles in a white sticky mess. Seems to work well.

big dog
01-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Great pictures and continued good luck! Looks like the tangs are doing well too ............. :)

cloakerpoked
01-11-2011, 01:48 PM
I think I'll stick to the more conventional methods of aiptasia eradication, been hit too many times by electricity in/around my fish tanks. Still, it's a very interesting idea and if it works...great. Obviously he has extensive safeguards in place to keep things from getting out of hand.

high-mark
01-11-2011, 11:08 PM
I've been using the zapper, however some I just can't reach so I've ordered 10 Berghia Nudibranchs from Reeftown. http://reeftown.com/ They will be here Friday. I'll keep you posted with the results.

high-mark
01-19-2011, 10:12 AM
In defense against Aiptasia I introduced 12 Berghia Nudibranchs to eliminate my outbreak. The Zapper did not reach all the Aiptasia so I went the natural way. Berghia Nudibranch is nature’s way of cleaning this pest up; there sole diet is aiptasia anemones. I’ll keep you posted with the results

acer
01-19-2011, 03:40 PM
I tried those- ( 3) but never saw them again. Await you results. getting some peppermints tomorrow.

high-mark
08-31-2011, 11:12 PM
I had a water test done at http://www.aqua-medic.com/aquariumwatertesting/aquarium_water_testing.html#1test
and my phosphates were getting high .29 so I added a phosphates reactor and turned my old Kold-Steril unit into a carbon reactor. A week later .06 on the phosphates