PDA

View Full Version : refugium question

mikesin
02-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Long story short, I'm going to add to my current setup. I want to add a 10 or 20G that houses only LR in hopes to house pods and help with filtration. Right beside the new tank will be my current 10G that houses cheato only. There are 2 pendant lights over this tank with 24W CFL (100W output).
Will there be enough indirect light to keep the LR alive? I have read that pods don't necessarly like a lot of light.
So I want enough light to keep the LR alive but not too much for the pods.

Thanks

rostr02
03-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Are you looping this in with your main tank? if so,
The live rock will still be alive, just may not have enough light for coraline growth, and if you want to increase pods maybe try getting some ulva algae they seem to like to eat holes through mine. I prob would not set the other tank up though, just add some more rock to the main. How big is your tank and how much rock do you have in it now?

mikesin
03-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Yes, I am looping this refugium. The flow will be pumped from the sump to 10G housing cheato - gravity feed to 10G housing LR - gravity feed back to sump/display return pump. Basically just adding another 10G refugium to house LR to the current system. The LR tank will get some light, just not direct light, and my concern is killing the rock from lack of light.

The display is a 75G with roughly 100lbs of LR. The sump and refugium is in the basement.

Hopefully I'm making sense.

thanks