PDA

View Full Version : dosing pumps

mikesin
02-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Hello, what is everyone using for dosing pumps these days? I currently have an aqua medic SP3000 and am tired of replacing the main tubing. It is just to unreliable. Anyway I'm looking at BRS's pump. Any experience with pumps. Any other pump suggestions?

Thanks

hybridazn
02-23-2011, 02:58 PM
From what I have read the brs dosing pumps are very reliable. I am considering using them as well

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mikesin
02-23-2011, 03:53 PM
I read the same. I just hate to spend a couple hundred dollars and end up with the same issues. Its always the hose is leaking, or not lined up with the roller properly or just plain back feeding even though I have tried every 1 way valve that I could find. Currently I'm dosing kalk, 1gal thru the night (automated), which is the evaporation rate & keeps the pH steady. Also manually dosing 70cc's of BRS 2part in the afternoon. If I get the BRS pumps I'll just dose 2 part and stop the kalk since that pump is the issue. I noticed that BRS pumps only dose 1.1ml per minute. That's great for 2 part but not for the amount of kalk/make up water.

AHDOnline
02-23-2011, 04:17 PM
The BRS pumps come pretty highly rated by everyone that uses them and I do not hear the normal complaints of leaking.

Kangaroo comes in second

raynist
02-24-2011, 12:41 AM
I had great luck with the Kangaroo dosing pumps. You can usually find them on ebay for around $60. They are very easy to modify to work with a reef tank, you only have to solder two wires. I have done probably 10 of them over the years.

Also look for a used litermeter. I have 2 of the originals and one newer one. I use them for kalk water top off. You can usually find a used litermeter (older, non digital) for under $100 on reef central.

mikesin
02-24-2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks for all of the replies, I'm leary on used equipment only because of the problems I am currently having. Something would go wrong with my luck lately. I called BRS to order the 50ml & 1.1ml only to find out the 50 is on BO! I tried calling atlantis but no answer & his VM is full :(.
I forgot how much a pain it is to manually dose! Hopefully the BRS pumps are worth the wait

AHDOnline
02-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Atlantis has gone out of business about a year ago.

hybridazn
02-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Yes. Atlantis has been gone for a while. But I heard he still sells stuff out of his house

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mikesin
02-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Well that stinks - I do remember reading that on RC know that you mention it......

raynist
02-25-2011, 12:22 AM
I wouldn't worry about buying a used kangaroo. They are medical equipment and last forever.

eweiler
02-25-2011, 07:39 PM
I just received my BRS dosing pump today... So far I like it!!

mikesin
02-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Which one did you get? 50ml or 1.1ml?

eweiler
02-26-2011, 08:33 AM
1.1 ml

Eric

raynist
03-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Someone on the PMAS reef central site is selling them. It is in the Moving thread.

raynist
03-09-2011, 01:29 AM
Here is one of kangaroo pumps for sale:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1988358

mikesin
03-09-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm going to give it a shot if its still available. I may need some help converting it to my system.
Thanks

mikesin
03-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Ray, not knowing much about kangaroo 324 pumps, can it be set up or programmed to dose intermittently? If not can an AC3 be used to control it? I'm looking for options to dose alk of 2 part (70ml per day). I'll get the 800ml hose and use it for make-up/kalk water if not. Does it run continuously?

Thanks

raynist
03-09-2011, 02:47 PM
You set an amount to dose per hour and it turns itself on every few minutes and doses a little bit each time. You set the amount in ml/minute. Depending on what tubing set you use there us a conversion factor. I think to dose 1.5 g per day I set it at 30 ml per hour with the high volume dosing tube set.

bmiller1234
03-09-2011, 02:48 PM
I run a kangaroo with a dual channel tubing set for dosing brs two part. I got the dual channel tubing from reefdosingpumps.com

The kangaroo is a set and forget unit. Its awesome. It turns once a minute and depnding in how much your dosing it controls the revolutions. you will find that going to a steady Doser you will use a little less two part since it won't precip out like dumping 50ml at one time. I dose approx 60 ml a day which ends up being a drop every two minutes. Makes your levels crazy stable. I test every two weeks and adjust accordingly if needed.

raynist
03-09-2011, 02:50 PM
If you want to dose 70ml of 2 part, you would want the low flow tubing set or the one that is equal to what the kangaroo pump displays on it's read out. You may want to call that company I linked to on RC to see what they recommend.

You could always dilute the all solution and dose it with the high volume tubing also.

mikesin
03-09-2011, 06:31 PM
Great info - thank you two. This sounds like my ticket to a little freedom from dosing :)

mikesin
03-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Bmiller - did you purchase your kangaroo from reefdosingpumps as well? or is it a model 324? The reason I ask is I e-mailed Stan Furman (who is also the e-mail contact for www.innovativeaquatics.com) and he is saying a modification will be needed. Did you have to mod yours?
Ray - do you have any experience with the two channel tubing?
here is the e-mail
"Hi, I am interested in the Two-Channel tubing sets to dose 2part solution to my reeef. I currently have a Kangaroo 324 and noticed its not listed. Will it work

(A-)If your Kangaroo 324 has a disabled drip detector, then the only problem is a mechanical one of fitting the 2-channel set onto the pump. I've modified my pumps to accept the 2-channel set, and I suspect you could do the same to yours.

If yours still has a drip detector, then it's a much longer road.

Hope this helps

bmiller1234
03-10-2011, 07:55 AM
I actually bought rays other pump so its the same one your getting. The "modification" is where the tubing sits since its designed for one large plastic tubing holder and the dual channel set is two smaller plastic pieces you need to real lightly file a flat spot where the tubing goes so it stays put. my tubing sits in place without issue and has been running strong for a solid 6 months.

mikesin
03-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Well that's simple enough, for some reason I was thinking it would be more involved.
Thank you

mikesin
03-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Bmiller, you said that you dose approx. ml per day, is that what the dosing pump is set to (ie 2 or 3 ml per hour) or is that actual? We picked up ours at that meeting last night (thanks George) and purchased the duel tubing set. I have it set to 3ml per hour (72ml per day). What I don't know is the duel tubing is the same size as what the actual doser is calibrated for.

Mike

bmiller1234
03-20-2011, 08:16 PM
No the dual channel does not dose the same amount. I dose approx 50 ml a day and mine is set at 18ml per hour. thats an approx measure. Start it low and test your alk and cal and see if it drops raises or stays same and adjust from there. You said you were dosing around 70 a day before so 15 ml per hour on machine would be a good starting point. and then test each day and adjust accordingly till it maintains.

mikesin
03-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Excellent, I marked the containers so I could track it, I just wasn't sure where to start.......

Thank you,