PDA

View Full Version : T-5 fixture

kellyeli
06-16-2015, 07:11 PM
I was looking for a T-5 fixture that will fit a 12x12x12 tank was wondering what the best way to go is? Does anyone have any leads or looking to sell something that would work well for me? Thank you!

acer
06-21-2015, 07:13 PM
That is a small space , why not go LED?

kellyeli
06-22-2015, 10:30 AM
I was told that LED don't do as well as T-5? Did I understand someone wrong?

mondobongo
06-22-2015, 11:03 AM
this can be quite the contentious issue: LED vs. T5 vs. MH

in my experience, if you buy good quality LEDs there is little difference. you do have to be mindful of acclimation, they can be more intense than the other types of lights, but again that also varies with brand.

i've been running AI Vegas for a couple years now, and have been very pleased with the growth i've seen. the upsides on maintenance for me are big draws as well. mainly: no bulb replacement, and very little ambient heat imparted to the room or the tank.

i've also seen the downside of buying crap LEDs though. when i first made the switch from MH i was trying to save a buck and got some EcoRay fixtures, they were no good. the corals didn't like them, growth was terrible, and some of my zoas even ended up receding. after switching to good quality LEDs though, the change was remarkable.

another upside to LEDs is that you can fairly easily find a fixture to fit your space. on my 75 i am running two AI Vegas layed out parallel to the tank. on the 160 i am upgrading to i will be running 4 Vegas layed out perpendicular to the tank, additionally i have a 35 gallon cube (20"x20") that i have purchased an AI Hyrda 26 for.

for the small space you have though, an AI Prime (or similar sized LED, i am just pointing to the AI because they're the brand i have the most experience with, but there are several other great LED brands out there) you would be able to get more than enough coverage from the AI Prime:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aqua-illumination-prime-led-module.html

people get VERY, VERY upset when debating lighting choices, and i have seen many unsubstantiated claims that LEDs are inferior. this is simply not the case. there are benefits and trade offs to each type of lighting option you choose, and it is difficult, if not impossible, to make a complete apples to apples comparison. for my needs, LEDs provide excellent growth, low maintenance, and excellent options for different spaces, sizes, and budgets.

i would advise to stick to a top tier brand name when purchasing, Aqua Illumination (AI), MaxSpect, Kessil, EcoTech, etc... they may cost a bit more, but the quality if well worth the few pennies you will save over the "bargain" brands, and in nano sizes, they're actually relatively affordable.