PDA

View Full Version : Red Honey Damsel

KelliZachMOM
05-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Scientific name, neoglyphidodon bonang. Anyone have any experience with these guys? Coolest looking damsel in my opinion, but I'm not finding a lot of info. Seems they are not real common in the aquarium hobby, but I am not sure if that is because they are just a rarer specimen or no one wants them. The little info I have found leads me to believe they may be the king A-hole of damsels. I never seen one until today and I fell in love. Name is Sheila and is acclimating now.

fishies7
09-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Okay, so it has been a busy summer, but I JUST saw your post and had to wince! I had a red honey damsel many years ago, and it was beautiful, but it quickly became a killing machine! It killed a hippo tang twice it's size I introduced after it had been added. I finally had to tear my tank apart to catch it and give it it's own aquarium! If yours starts showing signs of aggression, it might be time to set up a little 10 tank all to itself!

Then again, every fish is individual and unique, and depending on what you keep it with, it might do just fine. Either way, good luck!

(BTW, if you decide to keep it and need another hellion, I've got a Behn's damsel you are welcome to!)

KelliZachMOM
09-02-2013, 01:44 PM
So far, no issues and I have had it 3 1/2 months now. It is a very active fish swimming in and out caves, but minds its own business. It's tankmates are a firefish, pajama cardinal, starry blenny, six line, and pair of black ocellaris. The blenny went a little nuts at first by turning white and following the damsel around, but that only lasted the first evening. Everyone in my tank seems to be model citizens. Even the ocellaris have toned it down quite a bit on trying to attack me.